عنوان مقاله [English]
The present study investigates the relationship between governmental affiliation and firm`s systematic risk. In this study, data have been gathered from 76 listed companies in Tehran Stock Exchange from 2005 to 2015 and the research hypothesis has been examined by utilizing the regression coefficient analysis. The results indicate that there is a direct and significant correlation between governmental affiliation and systematic risk. In other words, companies which depend on government may encounter political risk and it can be one of the effective factors on the systematic risk. According to Levine (2005), governmental managers affect the firm`s risk by political decorum. Therefore, governmental affiliation can be used as a significant variable in firm`s risk.
- Alt, J. E. and R. C. Lowry (1994). "Divided government, _scal institutions, anbudgetde_cits: Evidence from the states. American Political Science Review, (2): 811-828.
- Ajinkya, B, S. Bhojraj, P. Sengupta. (2005). The association between outside directors, institutional investors and properties of management earnings forecasts. Journal of Accounting Research,(43): 343-376.
- Ashbaugh-Skaife H, D. W. Collins, W. R. Kinney, R. Lafond. (2009).The effect of SOX internal control deficiencies on firm risk and cost of equity. Journal of Accounting Research ,(47): 1-43
- Besley. T. , A. Case (2003). "Political institutions and policy choices: evidence from the United States." Journal of Economic Literature 41(1): 7-73.
- Caplan, B. (2001). "Has Leviathan been bound? A theory of imperfectly constrained government with evidence from the states." Southern Economic Journal, (39): 825-847.
- Cetrelli, N. (2006), "Discussion of Inflation and Finance Performance what havewe learned in the Last Ten Years? (John Boyd and Bruce Champ)",http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/economists/cetorelli/Boyd_and_Champ_discussion_Cetorelli.pdf.
- Chaney, P. K, M. Faccio, and D.C. Parsley (2010) The Quality of Accounting Information in Politically Connected Firms. Working paper, Vanderbilt University
- Correia .M.(2012) Political Connections, SEC Enforcement and Accounting Quality, Rock Center for Corporate Governance at Stanford University Working Paper No. 61, www.ssrn .com.PP.1-25.
- Dario. C. (2014). Political A_liation and Risk of Default: Are Republicans or Democrats More Fiscally Responsible?. Working paper, Carnegie Mellon University
- Deqiu Chen,S. L, Jason. Z. X, Hong. Z. (2014).The effect of government quality on corporate cash holdings. Journal of Corporate Finance,(27): 384–400
- Ferreira, M. , P. Laux. (2007). Corporate governance, idiosyncratic risk and information flow. The Journal of Finance,(62): 951-989
- George, J. , Jiang, D , Xu. Tong. Y. (2009). The Information Content of Idiosyncratic Volatility. Journal of financial and quantitative analysis,(44): 1-28
- Gounopoulos,D.(2004).Accuracy of Management Earnings Forecasts in IPO Prosp-ectuses: Evidence From Athens Stock Exchange. Working Paper, University of Surrey: United Kingdom
- Graham. J, C. Harvey , S. Rajgopal.( 2005). The economic implications of corporate financial reporting. Journal of Accounting and Economics,(40): 3-73
- Hong. G, S. Sarkar. (2007). Equity Systematic Risk (Beta) and Its Determinants. Contemporary Accounting Research, (24).423-466.
- Hurwitz L. (1973).Contemporary approaches to political stability. Comparative Politics, )5(. 449-63
- Jensen. M. )1993(.The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems, Journal of Finance,(48): 831-880.
- Larcker. D. F, T. O. Rusticus. (2008). On the use of instrumental variables in accounting research. Working paper, Stanford Graduate School of Business (Available at SSRN:http://ssrn.com/abstract=694824).
- Levine.R.)2005(.Law, endowments, and property rights. J. Econ. Perspect.(19) 61–88.
- Mashayekhi.b , Motmaen.m.(2013). Systematic Risk and Conditional Conservatism. Journal of financial research, 15 (1) 109-128(in Persian).
- Meshki.m, AsiRabbani.m.(2011). An Investigation of Relationship between Management Forecast Error with Abnormal Rate of Return and Systematic Risk at Tehran Stock Exchange. The Accounting And Auditing Review, 18(66) 53-68.(in Persian).
- Opler. T, J. Sokobin. 1997. “Does Coordinated Institutional Activism Work? An Analysis of the Activities of the Council of Institutional Investors, Working paper, Ohio State University.
- Peasnell. K, Pope. P, Young. S. (2001). Board Monitoring & Earnings Management: Do Outside Directors Influence Abnormal Accruals? Accounting and Finance, Working Paper Series. Available atSSRN:http://ssrn.com/abstract=24955orhttp://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.249.557.
- Quan. L.(2012). Political Relations and Chinese Outbound Direct Investment: Evidence from Firm-and Dyadic-Level Tests, Working Paper Series. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=32543.
- Knight. B. (2006). "Are policy platforms capitalized into equity prices? Evidence from the Bush/Gore 2000 presidential election. Journal of Public Economics, 90(4):751-773.
- Rajgopal. S, Mohan. v. (2011). Financial reporting quality and idiosyncratic return volatility, Journal of Accounting and Economics,(5): 1–20
- Reed, W. R. (2006). "Democrats, Republicans, and taxes: Evidence that political parties matter. Journal of Public Economics ,90(4): 725-750.
- Saedi.a, Ramsheh.m.(2011).The Systematic Risk Determinants in Tehran Stock Exchange. Financial Accounting Researches , 3(1):125-142.(in Persian).
- Sariolghalam. m.(1994). Development,the Third World andthe international system.Third edition.Tehran: Publicationambassador.
- Shleifer, A. &Vishny, R. W. (1997).A Survey of Corporate Governance. Journal of Finance, 52(2): 737-783.
- Skinner, D. (1994). Why firms voluntarily disclose bad news. Journal of Accounting Research,32: 38-60.
- Solomon, J. F., Lin. S.W., Norton, S.D. & Solomon, A. (2003). Corporate
- governance reform in Taiwan. Corporate Governance: an international Review,11 (3): 235-248.
- Stephen R. Foerster, Stephen G. Sapp, Yaqi Shi.(2009). The Impact of Management Earnings Forecasts on Firm Risk and Firm Value.Working paper, Dicecenter (Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/).
- Yen .y. h , Pei. G and Shean.B.C. (2012).Political connections, corporate governance and preferential bank loans. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, (21): 1079-1101.
- Xu . K.W, Asokan .A (2012) Quality of reported earnings by Chinese firms: The influence of ownership structure, Advances in Accounting , incorporating . Advances in International Accounting, (28): 193